A Brief History
The Long Plain Museum was originally built in 1875 as the Long Plain School House. The school closed in 1972 and the building was then reopened as a local history museum. It is now operated by the Acushnet Historical Society.
The museum features four rooms focusing on the Acushnet whaling heritage, the blacksmith trade, period clothing and furniture, numerous artifacts, and a restored schoolroom.
The Long Plain School was listed July 17, 2012 on the National Register of Historic Places, and a notation made that it is 'now known as the Long Plain Museum'.